COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS: Vice chair in charge of education finance for the Senate Ways and Means Committee; vice chair of the Senate Health Care Committee; vice chair of the Senate Early Learning and K-12 Education Committees; member, Rules Committee; member, Aging and Disability Joint Legislative Committee.
EDUCATION: University of Washington – M.S., engineering; U.S. Naval Academy – B.S. in Ocean Engineering.
OCCUPATION: Small business owner and director of printing business in Pierce County.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Member, Young Life; member, Mel Korum YMCA Advisory Council; member, Tacoma #8 Rotary Club; member, Tacoma Goodwill Board of Directors; member, Lighthouse Christian Church; member, Good Samaritan Hospital Board of Directors; member, University of Washington – Tacoma Advisory Board.
- Jobs for Washington Graduates Award (2012)
- Friend of Children Award, Washington State PTA (2011)
- Legislative Hero, Washington State HVAC/R Association, Inc. (2011)
- “In the Bag” Award – Washington Food Industry Association (2010-11)
- Cornerstone Award, Association of Washington Business (2009-11)
- Guardian of Small Business Award, National Federation of Independent Business (2009-12)
- Pioneer Educator Award, Washington Families for Online Learning (2010)
- Outstanding Advocate Award, Puyallup PTA Council (2009)
- Local Hero Award, Bank of America Neighborhood Excellence Initiative (2007)
PERSONAL: A Pierce County native, Sen. Dammeier attended Curtis High School before going on to graduate with distinction from the U.S. Naval Academy and serve eight years as a Civil Engineer Corps Officer. While on active duty, he was deployed on humanitarian relief missions in the United States and across the world. At the conclusion of his military service, he returned to Washington State and became a dedicated community volunteer. Bruce and Lauren, his wife of more than 30 years, live in Puyallup. They have three grown sons.